Please apologise my short hiatus. I honestly didn’t see this one coming. I even started typing up a draft for Thinking out Loud two weeks ago to tell you all about my first week, but being overwhelmed by reading kinda sorta got in the way….
Fast forward two weeks later, and I am slowly coming back to my senses. Sure, I need to do A LOT – but so does everyone else, and somehow they still have an actual life… so I took a step back and reevaluated the whole scenario. I watched myself in slow-motion and tried to find the errors in my ways. I even flash-backed to my literature heavy time at SLC to aid my “autobiographical research” and noticed a terrible pattern that could possibly lead me directly to a very fast, immediately doomed burn-out:
I mean too well when it comes to the (suggested and recommended) readings.
Long gone are the high-school days of only needing to read a shortish book for a language class or a few chapters of biology at most. These few pages were easily summarised and didn’t steal time away from revision or paper-writing (or more importantly my social life, which is basically non-existent right now). No, university brings forth pages upon pages of “important and valuable” reading that supports course work and helps with understanding the subject matter – and could also doom me to all-nighters and being permanently behind on EVERYTHING. And being the person that I am, I began to freak out when I noticed that it took me almost an hour to read (and summarise) about 10 pages of “required” reading….That’s when I started to analyse a presumed fault in my ways… and found the probable error that had already caused major panic attacks at SLC.
I have forced myself to come to terms with the fact that sometimes a summary isn’t really all that necessary. Plus, it is a mega time consumer. Sometimes just reading can be enough. This is actually my current mantra to my inner nerdy, over-achieving self, especially after I noticed that the professors base their lectures almost entirely on the books they recommend (they are oftentimes also the authors) and offer an acceptable summary of the 40 pages, albeit not as exact as I may have done it, but almost definitely exact enough for the exam in January knowing that I am currently only 3 weeks in and have already received so much information at a really high speed to process.
So that being said, I have now after 3 weeks been able to figure out a system I hope will work, as I have identified some lectures as “exact reciprocations of the reading” where I will thus do the reading but only highlight the text and summarise after the lecture if I feel I am missing information, and lectures that require “discussions of the reading” where a summary could definitely come in handy because the information of the presentation isn’t as exact or informative. Oh and I also found a class that requires mainly practice exercises and little theory (microeconomics) and so I will put more emphasis on the practical work than the learning by heart.
Boy am I glad today is Thinking out Loud Thursday and I can share all my thoughts with you all. I am sure you are highly interested in my super-exciting student life with mounds of studying and like zero social interactions 😉 Thanks Amanda for hosting!
1. When we last spoke it was September. Like what the what calendar, how can there only be 3 months left to 2014. I feel like I literally JUST came home from New York.
2. I’ve been making my protein smoothie a lot for breakfast lately. Today I added some fun nutritional-science things to it like glutamine and BCAA’s etc etc (i.e. there were a lot of different powders in there) and for some weird reason, it just didn’t want to mix with the banana and raspberries. What’s more, the smoothie sort of bypassed the frozen fruit in my blender and kind of formed 3 different layers: A top layer of something that resembled molten marshmallow, a centre layer of frozen fruit and a bottom layer of what my usual smoothie would have been like. This has never happened to me before, so I am blaming the additional powders… Well not really blaming, as I got marshmallow fluff out of it (yay) …but it was weird nonetheless.
3. I’ve been using either blush or bronzer (or both) daily lately. I’m not sure how I feel about it. I never used to wear blush as my cheeks are naturally rosy, but I found university to be the perfect time to start experimenting with new makeup looks. I still sport my beloved cat eye though. Also I have started to sometimes wear mascara for my super early (8 am) classes, where I have to get up at 6 because the communications students are the “lucky” ones who get to travel all around town to the various different University campuses to get to class.
I sometimes also wear lipstick. I am officially growing up.
…although it is aggressively Barbie pink. So nope, not growing up just yet 😀
4. I mentioned last time that I would be sharing a great post with you soon. I guess that was a white lie, as I no longer think it will be soon, more like in the near future. But it will be worth the wait. I promise!
Cacao Chanel and Kale Lagerfeld. YES!
6. Speaking of juices…I’ve been indulging in loads of vibrant smoothies lately. It’s all I ever want for breakfast, snacks and sometimes even dinner after a fun body pump sesh.
(recipes coming soon)
7. I am reunited with this little munchkin!
8. I really LOVE being a student and really hope I can sort out this whole studying thing because I have yet to experience “student life”. Also, I found this post rather amusing, but it doesn’t apply to me at all because I love to cook and experiment with different diets (like the whole paleo and high carb, Raw Till 4 approaches)
9. I have some new additions to my accessories that I cannot get enough of:
10. Another secret I have discovered that might improve my study efficiency is an iced caramel macchiato. I read faster, type quicker and generally feel so much more productive (read: hyperactivity for the win). I just hope I can fall asleep…
I really hope I will get round to posting again soon! I’m off to summarise a lecture and do some reading for tomorrow…
Happy Thursdaaaaay 🙂
With attitude and nail polish, Anoushé xoxo