For someone who actually really enjoys travelling and hopes to one day discover loads of the world, home has become the unwritten answer to all my problems. No matter what I am going through or dealing with, I know my life in Zürich will always cheer me up. During those last few days leading up to my departure from Munich, I was obsessed with counting down to when I got to return to the life I had missed. Don’t get me wrong, I adored my job and the people I got to meet, and all I got to experience – I wouldn’t trade it for the world… but living in New York and then Munich has taught me that I am a creature of habit. I am also someone who likes to please others too much, and thus forget that it would actually keep me more sane to “do my own thing” sometimes and even be alone.. despite my über-open personality… but that’s a story for another time.
I have now in retrospect learned to accept that I don’t really enjoy living with people who are very different from myself. For if I do, I tend to put things I enjoy or ways I prefer to act on the side to make and keep them happy, which of course results in me being very unhappy.. long story short: I miss my food processor, a kitchen full of vegetables and fruit and all my beauty products scattered in an organized mess. Those things were MEGA- lacking while living with others… I have learned how to treat myself well and what things make me feel good, and most importantly I strive on structured days I can fully control. I craved my weekends at home; I filled my days with yummy food, dance and body pump classes and my evenings with friends whenever I was home for the weekend – I felt free, and I have been enjoying this now seemingly never-ending freedom to the max for the last 2 weeks. No needing to return to Munich. I am home. For good.
There are some things I have started to miss in Munich though…
It wasn’t meant to be I guess 😉
2. My membership at Munich Gym expired during my second to last week and I sort of avoided going back because I didn’t want to pay the daily rate 3 times (which is almost as high as the monthly one). I ended up not going on Monday, because the classes I do are almost identical to Thursday (when I had planned to go anyways) , and had a yummy green smoothie in town instead 🙂 When I went in on Tuesday and explained the situation, the guy at the front desk told me he would deal with it. So I went and got changed, came back with my wallet and asked him what it would cost me and he said I should speak to the manager. She then generously extended my last month through the end of August (although my card had run out mid August). I was stunned and shocked by their kindness, and so very thankful that I got an extra week to enjoy my favourite gym… such a shame my flu took over and I had to stay in bed the rest of the week 😦 Sure, the gym in Zürich is great, but the community in Munich felt like this big fitness family.. all the more reason to return ;), even if it’s just for CXWorks, the protein shake bar and champagne after class.
3. I really miss the people I met and the friends I made – especially the girls from other magazines. I also really enjoyed all the press days and product launches where it was warmly welcomed to dive headfirst into my obsession with cosmetics
Oh and of course, being published was kinda cool too 😉
(there’s even one more page to come with my name on it!)
4. There are some things I am really enjoying being back in Zürich though too, like the ability to visit my cousin because he only lives a train ride away. Let me tell you, a 2.5 h train ride to Geneva is NOTHING in comparison to the nearly 5 I endured TWICE each weekend. The trip over to the French-speaking part of Switzerland was like a walk in the park… oh and I ate something amazing: Truffled Sushi! like, whoa whoa whoa how could that be so DELICIOUS? My taste buds have really been exposed to some great foods since I have been more open to eating fish.. like the afore-mentioned truffle salmon nigiri. I wish I had gotten a picture.. I guess I have to visit Geneva soon to take a picture of the yumminess 😉
5. It’s also great to go to my favourite restaurants with some of the best people. I mean, I do realise I used to go eat at these places at least once a week before leaving, but during this half-year away, I barely ever got to go… I am quite surprised that I haven’t overdosed on Nagasui, Hiltl and Tiffins by now though, and have been enjoying cooking at home a lot. I’ve been a food prepping genius lately, but have noticed a tendency of convincing myself I need to snack when I am not even really hungry just because “the food is ready and tasty”.
And another quarter disappeared at around 3 am when I was not able to fall asleep because I couldn’t stop thinking of the deliciousness (I hadn’t eaten kabocha in years, so saying I could barely contain my excitement when I took the roasted goodness out of the oven would be a major understatement)
I also tested this whole high carb, low-fat, 80/10/10, rawtill4 thing for a day.
I made a mango banana smoothie with a papaya carrot centre. It was voluminous and filling, but didn’t keep me from finishing off the afore-mentioned kabocha.. I ended up caving and cooking some tofu for lunch when eating another massive smoothie or 500 g of grapes didn’t seem too appealing. So technically still going strong with the low-fat thing, but staying “raw until four” is tough!
I did manage to fit in a green protein smoothie before Bodypump though 🙂 And I had loads of energy. Carbs are a weight-lifter’s best friend!
6. So uhm guys, I can’t believe I actually waited until number six to tell you this, but: I am starting University today. Again. For the third time. But for real this time, I promise…. I’ve put a lot of work into prepping for this day and feel (slightly) confident, but am also so so so very nervous and putting way too much pressure on myself, because I really want things to work out this time round. I am staying in Zürich, which will definitely help the process as I won’t have to get used to a new city, live with strangers (see above 😉 ) and find new friends, like the last 2 times. I am full of joy and excitement (and a little bit of anxiety) and cannot wait to fill my brain with knowledge… I am majoring in Media and Communications and minoring in Management and Economics. I will probably be taking on French next semester as well and hope to add a second minor next year (Farsi) if things work out with my schedule.
7. I am in love with this weather. The smell of Winter approaching, leaves turning orange and cozy evenings with warm, cinnamony almond milk keeping you toasty, while during the day the sun is still warm enough to barely need that woolly sweater. I love this transitional time and am not looking forward to my Ugg boots and trekking through the snow to classes, and don’t really miss the scorching heat either.. I wonder if there is a place in the world where they only have one and a half seasons: Autumn and some Spring (I adore the months before Summer, but could do without those rain showers)
8. Tomorrow I will be sharing my weekly fitness post and I think you will be surprised to see how little I have been dancing (not at clubs!) since I’ve been back. I am quite shocked myself that I can’t seem to motivate myself to go to class, whereas I have not missed a single Bodypump training since I’ve been back. I’ve made up so many excuses as to why I shouldn’t go dance, and sometimes just ended up staying at home or in town instead… weird things happening people, weird things…
That’s it for me today. I need to get some rest for my first day. *Excited screaming*
Thanks Amanda for hosting!
With attitude and nail polish, Anoushé xoxo